Wednesday, November 28, 2012

My Bitty

I saw him running along the curb of a 6-lane busy Memphis street in a drizzling rain on a Monday morning. Some dogs just scream "I shouldn't *BE* here!" and that was this little fella. He was clearly frightened, so I stopped to see if he wanted to be caught. He was undecided about me and took off down the road so I hopped in the van and followed him for a 1/2 mile or so. He tired out finally and I found myself squatting in the crosswalk of the less busy street to coerce him to come to me. He would come just within reach but if I tried to touch him, he scurried off about 10 feet and turned and stared to me to see if I could be trusted. After a few minutes of this, in the rain, I decided I was gonna have to nab him unwillingly. He came close and I snatched him up like a kitten. In return for my man-handling, he nipped me. I told him I didn't blame him, and we made friends.

I tried out all sorts of names on him but eventually I hit upon the one he responded to, and he became Bitty the Pomeranian. As far as street urchins go, Bitty was a breeze. He was house-trained, neutered, HW- tho he did have a pronounced heart murmur, he got along with all the big dogs, and when they forgot, he had no problem saying,"Hey! Little dog down here! Watch your feet!". In typical toy dog fashion he picked his friends. He liked you or he didn't. I looked for his owners with no success but didn't try too hard to find a furever home for him. He was easy. And I liked him. But I can tell ya, somebody was missing this little boy!

I have no idea how old he was. I was guessing 5-8 when I found him four years ago, but other friends thought a bit older. No way to tell tho really. It didn't really matter. He slept on my pillow when Stan wasn't hogging it, otherwise he slept on a pillow under the bed. Easy is the word I used to describe him. I wish all dogs were that easy.

About a week ago I noticed he was off his food. Not unusual for him. He self-moderated and often just picked at his food. By Saturday we were at the vet. He was not well. We got some meds and went home and i nursed him, but i don't think any of us had a clue of what was coming. By Sunday night he had quit eating on his own but would eat of I fed him. Monday I started feeding him by syringe every two hours hoping. Tuesday I fed him his breakfast and called the vet while i was out and told him I was going to bring him in, however Bitty had had enough and slept his final sleep.

Bitty was a street dog, but I loved him. He was funny and loving. He went to Missouri to visit my grandpa and great-aunts and was always a gentleman. His horridly undershot jaw and teeth that were at odd angles were always a point of conversation with people, it added to his ugly-cute face and charm! He fancied himself a sheep dog too, like the rest of the gang. He was always itching to get on their side of the fence!

I will miss him in his spot on my pillow at night. :(

Godspeed littlest boy. Tell everyone hello and I'll see you all some day.

Bitty
???? - 11/27/2012







2 comments:

mgailt said...

He, too, will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge, Tish!

Andrew Williams said...

Now that we've lost Little Lilly, I can better understand how you feel. Had never had pets in childhood, so this was my first time at losing a beloved four-legged friend. And, yes, it hurts.

Andrew