Sunday, November 25, 2012

Godspeed Gracie

Just a couple days after Gracie showed back up she disappeared once again. I kept looking every time I drove by. Every time I went in the back yard I glanced over hoping to see her sunning herself in her usual spot.

No such luck.

Friday night I noticed her food and water bowl were gone. I got hopeful that the church people had managed to coax her into the car. This morning I stopped by the church to ask them and got the terrible news that Gracie was dead.

The older lady had come by Wednesday to see her and said she was limping a little and acted like she wasn't feeling well. And most unusually against her normal behavior, she rolled over and allowed the woman to pet her tummy. They came back on Thursday to give her some thanksgiving food and she was not there so they drove around and found her around the corner, dead. We aren't really sure what from. Most likely hit by a car. Whatever the reason I was sad to hear that she never got her forever home. We tried. She just wasn't ever ready to come in.

So. Gracie is at the bridge. I am happy to know that she is, at last, safe. It's not what I had in mind, but it wasn't my decision. Special thanks to Carol for helping me find Brett at DeSoto Animal Rescue Society. And thank you Brett, for being willing to try to help a street dog have a better life.

It's going to take some time for me to get out of the habit if looking over to their yard searching for her. :(. Godspeed Gracie. We tried girl.

6 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Sometimes it doesn't end like it should and that just sucks -

You tried -

It just wasn't meant to be this time -

Perhaps Gracie will save the day for another deserving canine on the street looking for what they all deserve -

She'll be enjoying her first Full Moon at The RB soon - surrounded by love of the others 'there' -

Our hearts sunk - with an OH NO muttered aloud when I saw this hit my Google Reader -

Hugs being sent from PA

Unknown said...

{{tears}} I'm so sorry. But glad she's all well and never hungry or thirsty or afraid anymore.

Unknown said...

Oh Gracie!!!!!!!!! She knew love, if even from a distance...

WooPak said...

I second guess myself a lot. It would've been better to just trap her or force her in. It might've been better to just throw a rope around her - sometimes loose dogs just need that to know they are caught. I could've drugged her. I might've… any number of things. Regardless, at least when I sleep at night now I will know she is safe. :-(

WooPak said...

Exactly so Susan. Exactly so. :-(

WooPak said...

She had about 6 people all trying to tame her enough to make her willing enough to take a chance. She just couldn't get there. But yes. I think she knew she was loved and wanted. Why else would she set herself up on that stoop for four months. Poor Grace.