Monday, October 15, 2012

For everyone who understands about matters of the heart

Everyone can remember that first siberian husky. You know - the one who first took your breath away and made your brain whisper "yessss!"

For me that dog was Magnum, aka CH Solocha's Magnum PI CGC.

I tried to do things the right way. When I decided that I wanted to show a dog, my friend took me to a local show and I watched the siberians enter the ring one by one, class by class. I liked them, I knew I did, but I couldn't tell you to this day a single dog who was there... until him.

I still remember the exact moment I saw "HIM ." He floated in like he owned the place and literally took my breath away.

I still remember what I said. I poked my friend and said "I want *that*" I still remember what she said to me. "Well I guess you do! He's the #1 siberian husky in the country!" (I still joke with my friends that even then my green eye knew a great dog.) You all know there is *nothing* more stunning than a confident male siberian husky in his prime strutting around with a natural proudness. That was Magnum.

I did my best to get Betty to let me offer him a retirement home (grin) but she wasn't having any of that! So, I did the next best thing and waited for a puppy. I waited almost 4 years for him. My Monkey. My Lava. Even though he didn't have all the necessary equipment, I took him anyway, knowing that I had to in some way have a small piece of Magnum. I've never regretted it. Lava is my heart and I've never had another dog who talked with me like he does - so special is our bond.

I received a note today that said that "Chuck and Betty Charlton have lost an old friend. CH Solocha's Magnum PI CGC took his place at the Rainbow Bridge this month. He lived a long and illustrious life and will always be remembered when people talk about great Siberians and great show dogs."

My heart is heavy. I will always remember Magnum as the dog who stole my heart and gave it forever to the world of siberian huskies. I will always remember him as I saw him that day almost 10 years ago - floating into the ring like he owned the place. He did, of course.

I imagine he went over the bridge in the same manner, striding right up like he owned the place as he did in his youth.

Godspeed my friend, Magnum. The world is a little dimmer, the stars a little brighter at your passing.

[reprint from October, 2007]

6 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Ah yes!

In Mom's khase, it was Taltia -

Khonsidering she grew up wanting a Blond Cocker Spaniel she would name Chamois, she was SO in fur a treat!

Fast furward a zillion years to Whitney NKA Khyra!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Unknown said...

<3<3

Anne Fulton said...

I have 3 girls from a Solocha boy...temperaments are fantastic, 1st time I saw their daddy I fell in love with him...Dad is now at Rainbow bridge but he lives on in my girls... wonderful story.. so sorry for your loss xxx

WooPak said...

Khyra -

Sometimes fate has a way of giving us just what we need. Not what we think we want :) and we are better for it!

Monkey kisses!

T

WooPak said...

Magnum was a spectacular dog.

Interestingly, as a baby he was sold as a pet. His owner, Tyra, ran into someone in the show world when he was about 6 months old when she had him with her and mentioned that she was about to go get him neutered. That person asked her if Betty had seen him recently, and advised her not to get him neutered until she did.

Magnum was a spectacular show dog - that almost wasn't.

WooPak said...

Indeed Anne I couldn't ask for a better temperament in a dog!!! I could ask for a better signing voice. I could ask for a dog who was easier on my fingers and less food obsessed. But he came by both of those traits straight from Magnum, and its just a part of the total package!

Lava is my puppy raiser. He is the first dog that new pups get put with because he literally lights up with babies. He loves them. They can crawl on him. Pull his tail. Hang from his cheeks. He grins the whole time. I love that about him.